If there is one thing all mamas need, it is more sleep! It doesn’t matter if your baby is ten days old or ten months old, sleep can be hard to come by. I should know: I was up half the night with my teething ten-month-old. But just because I didn’t get enough sleep doesn’t mean I need to look like it. My secret? I not only drink coffee every morning, I put the coffee directly on my face in the form of a simple coffee mask.
Benefits of Using Coffee Mask on Skin
First of all, the best foundation for healthy skin is staying hydrated. Secondly, a gentle homemade coffee mask can do wonders too! Coffee has recently found its way into beauty products because it is filled with antioxidants and caffeine, which have great effects on the skin. An internet search yields countless results about the benefits of coffee on the skin, but here are just a few:
- Coffee is a natural and inexpensive exfoliant and it is effective without being harsh
- Temporarily minimizes the visibility of cellulite by drawing fluid away from fat cells
- Calms inflamed, red skin and protects skin from premature aging
- Reduces under-eye puffiness through the restriction of blood flow to the area
Ingredients you will need:
- Fresh coffee grinds
- Coconut oil (or olive oil)
- Use about one tablespoon of each and mix together to make paste.
- Apply to face.
- Rinse after five minutes, using the coffee to gently exfoliate skin as you rinse.
Because I have two kids and no time, I apply the mask before I shower and then rinse it during the shower. (Note: it can make the shower a little oily, but it’s easy to clean up.)
Extra Mom Tip
For special occasions that require extra effort (or I have more time), I use a different variation of the coffee mask: whipped egg white instead of coconut oil. Whip an egg white until frothy. Add the coffee grinds. This variation requires more time as the egg white should be dry (or close to dry) before rinsing.